We as fledgling endurance riders (is that a flying bean?) spend a lot of time trying to figure out the basics of what to do, and what equipment we need. But the most important peice of information in your Green Bean archive is being able to recognize when your horse may be in trouble, and know it is time to PULL THE PLUG. No ride is worth the casualty of your horse.
This little quiz will familiarize you with those things that the veterinary control judge may be looking at when he examines your horse at a hold. This exam takes place as there are often strong indicators of a problem (which may be averted by a pull or a rider option).
Here is the link to read over before you take the quiz:Guidelines of performing a vet check (this is an AERC educational resource available on their website).
If all is go your horse’s eye will be _____________________?
A warning sign is the horse’s eye will be ________________?
- If you horse is in the danger zone the eye may be ____________ , or_______ .
- The amount of time it should take the skin to recover from “the skin pinch test” if your horse is well hydrated. ____________.
- A horse in the red (danger zone) will have a jugular refill response (press, hold, release with a finger on the jugular vein of the neck) that is delayed and may take more than ____________.
- The gums of a horse in the danger zone may appear ____ , ____ or____.
- After 10 minutes of strenuous exercise (canter, uphill climbs, etc) and horse that is fit for the job should have a pulse recovery of __________ within ten minutes.
- The vet will listen to gut sounds and ___________or ______________ are a cautionary warning that your horse might be headed into trouble.
- The respiratory rate of a horse that is in trouble metabolically will be __________or _____ .
A cautionary sign that all may not be well with the horse’s joints, muscles or tendons is _________ or ________.
The anal tone of a healthy horse will be _________.
Impulsion of a horse that has been conditioned and is fit for the job you have given him will be _________ and _________.
________ or ______ is a sign that things are not well for your horse.
The attidude of a horse in the danger zone will be __________.
The attitude of a healthy prepared horse in competition will be _________? These attributes are ___________________________________________?